[NSRCA-discussion] 1st annual East River Pattern Contest

Ken Thompson mrandmrst at comcast.net
Tue Aug 1 14:53:52 AKDT 2006

Hi all,

I'd like to take a minute to thank Mike Darr and all who helped put on a great contest this past weekend.
After an issue with the previous venue, Mike spent a lot of time finding another site to hold his annual contest.
Wednesday's rain caused a few puddle issues, but nothing we couldn't work around, don't know about the rest of the group, but I had a blast!!

Saturday night was the usual BBQ at Mike's house, food was outstanding as usual, and the beer was cold, yes, cold and very tasty, thank you very much.

I brought an addition to my crew, my 15 year old son.  He has the plane set-up, fueling and calling down pat, now if he could only drive to get lunch all would be handled;-)

All who were there on Saturday saw my son take his first solo flight on ANY PLANE.  He is self trained on the G2 Simulator, and flew a trainer on a buddy box twice, no takeoffs or landings.  Mike gave my son his old foamy, an Extra 260 designed my Verne Koester, and asked,"Do you want to fly?"

Kenny said, "Sure!!".  Mike took the plane out to the yard and launched it in the air, flying it around for a minute or 2.  He handed the transmitter to Kenny and I thought, "Aww shoot, here it goes".  Myself and the others witnessed my son fly his first foamy, and he flew it well!! He flew it around, threw in a few rollers, short ones and also a few short hovers!!  I was in awe, to say the least.  In the end, he put it in on the second pack, nothing major, just a little glue and it's all good.
This was the first time I've ever witnessed, personally, someone fly without ever being taught.  To think it was my son, well, proud doesn't do the feeling justice.

Thanks again for everything, Mike, it won't be forgotten.

Great contest, lots of fun, good food and I took another second place, gee, what a surprise:-)

Ken Thompson