[NSRCA-discussion] lithium-ion safety concerns...

Cameron Smith dentdoc007 at adelphia.net
Thu Apr 20 06:20:18 AKDT 2006

Great Video !

 The use of a Li-poly with a new brushless motor today is, Well,
Intoxicating!
 The performance is AWESOME!!

 But it comes at a price of constant vigilance. The safety /Handling
practices have changed.

 A recent thread on RCU asked if certain handling practices were being
used. Like removing from plane, charging in safe areas & such.
 It was amazing at the responses that ranged from," I use Li-ions there
safer than those polys" or Just the attitude NO.

 Most people using them have NOT had problems. Then again most people
have not stuck a finger in a spinning prop. THEY KNOW NOT TO DO IT!!
 So they feel safe having not having seen it. (I still see people dangle
cords, clothing & such around props.)

 Great Video! Informative & Easy to understand destructive testing.

 Please realize you don't have to SHOOT a battery pack w/ a High powered
rifle to achieve these results.
  What is neat to see in this video is the way they FAIL!  They produce
flames!  Li-ions & Li-Ploys act similar.
 As they state in there video these results can happen from other
influences.

 The AMA has Suggestions/Guidelines on there safe handling. When used
these suggestions will allow the user to protect his life & property.

 I have made the switch to e-power on just about all my planes. But I do
so being aware of the potential to produce the hazards you see in the
video
 About the time you think it can't happen to you..

http://www.modelaircraft.org/safetycom.asp