[NSRCA-discussion] Fw: Buyers Guide background

Lance Van Nostrand patterndude at comcast.net
Sun Apr 16 09:45:12 AKDT 2006

I'd love to see a return of the Buyers Guide.  This has been discussed several times over the last few years with the current and previous executives.  The issue seems to be one of priorities, as is typical in an all volunteer organizations, and solving the biggest problems first.  If I remember correctly the problems have been as such:
1. Get the KF delivered consistently so advertisers will come forth
2. Make sure we have enough money (the expanded pages of the BG cost quite a bit more)
3. Find an ad manager to coordinate, solicit and manage advertisers.
4. Solve all these problems 8-12 months in advance so advertisers believe that the problems are solved
5. Select a target month, back up 6 months and launch the solicitation campaign. (this means 14-18 months after #1-4 are solved)

The BG used to be in March, but advertisers felt that this was not the month people needed the information for their buying decisions.  A new target of August or Sept was selected, but it overlapped with the expanded Nats issue.  I think we are at step 4 now and if a target month could be selected, maybe we can step to 5.

--Lance