[NSRCA-discussion] Plans for small electric pattern/update on E-Whiplash

Terry Terrenoire amad2terry at juno.com
Wed Apr 5 15:26:59 AKDT 2006

Last Sunday was perfect for a test flight on the 32 oz E-Whiplash. The
only negative of the whole flight was that there was noone else at the
field to share my elation!!

I carried the plane out to the runway and found a fairly smooth spot to
set her down. The ground has thawed but is still too wet to roll, so the
surface is not very well suited to small wheels. The throttle was slowly
advanced, even after the plane started moving into the light breeze. By
the time I got to a little over 1/2 throttle, she got light on the
wheels...and was airborne!!! Without feeding in any elevator input the
taakeoff climb was about as shallow as any I have ever seen, rock solid,
and wings remaining level with no input from me. I went to full power and
pulled a touch of up elevator and she climbed out at a good angle. At
about 40 feet high, and about 300 feet away, I started a left bank to
bring her back down the runway. Still rock solid and listening to my
every command. First impressions were just how slow she seemed to be
flying, but the low pass sure looked fast enough, and just how quiet she
is. This is my first experience with an outrunner brushless and the motor
is so quiet all I could hear was the wind noise generated by the wing and
tail as she sliced thu the air.

I did a few loops and some rolls. For general flying the aileron throw
was fine, but a little slow for good aeorbatics. After flying for about 5
minutes I wanted to check battery condition, so I set up for a landing.
After turning to final the throttle was cut and a glide path established.
About 5 feet off the ground, a little throttle was applied and the nose
brought up. She slowed to a nice 3-point touchdown about 20 feet in from
of me.

While on the ground I added 20% to the aileron throw, and 10% to the
elevator. The 2 subsequent, short, flights were equally satisfying, and I
returned home, one very happy camper!!

My thanks to Dick Sarpolis for designing a plane that has stood strong
for more than 30 years!

Terry T.