[NSRCA-discussion] Participation

spbyrum spbyrum at hiwaay.net
Tue Apr 4 06:29:49 AKDT 2006

SPA participation is limited - Last fall and again as our Spring contest
approaches, I've made an attempt to open SPA up.  I've offered to allow
any plane up to 70" square in special experimental classes.  This would
allow guys who have become inactive for a variety of reasons but still
have older equipment they enjoy to compete is a simple format.  It would
also allow any ARF up to that size.  Power is not restricted.

Last Fall, we made two new friends.  This Spring, there is 0 response.
Consequently, I've cancelled the Open classes for our Spring SPA
contest.  I can only conclude that those who say they'd compete "if  . .
. . " are all talk and no action.  This is a difficult thing we attempt,
and most people want an "Easy" button.

That being said, I've heard the suggestion that we fly the Sportsman
pattern in front of sport pilots to show them what is expected of THEM.
The fear expressed to me was that they see what we do and think it is
required of them.  We need to take pains to show them their requirements
are not as stringent as ours.

We, as a group, are not snobs, but we do need to remember that it takes
a bit more than average ego to stand in front of our peers and
effectively say, "I'm better than you.  Watch this!"  Tempering the ego
might be a good thing in front of fellow club members.

Steve Byrum