[NSRCA-discussion] Grand Strand Precision Aerobatic Clinic

JonLowe at aol.com JonLowe at aol.com
Sun Apr 2 20:46:16 AKDT 2006

Gary Courtney and I from Huntsville, AL attended this, 1st of it's kind,
event with about 36 other pilots this weekend at the Coastal Aero Modelers Club in
Loris, SC.  I cannot say enough good about this fantastic opportunity,
developed by Dave Guerin, championed by Rusty Dose, and CD'd by Buff Miller.  Where
else could you have hands on help from the likes of Don Sczur, Dave Lockhart,
Troy Newman, Arch Stafford, Dean Pappas, and others whose names aren't coming
to me at 11:30PM after a 10 hour drive?  Saturday was totally given to pilots
from Sportsman on up thru FAI to do anything they needed to do, including
classroom sessions, Q & A, in flight trimming help, setup, engine help, coaching
and detailed, written critiques of flights.  Nothing was out of bounds, and
they did anything we asked, gladly.  These guys gave up a weekend to help us.
What a great thing to do!

We had a two round contest on Sunday (Dave Lockhart was first, Don Sczur
second, and Troy 3rd in FAI), by the best judges around,  and then, the clinic
restarted for those who could stick around, by popular demand.

I sincerely hope this becomes a regular event in various parts of the
country.  One brand new Sportman pilot said that if he had known the pattern
community was like this, he would have started pattern flying a long time ago.  I had
a great time, and got a lot out of it, including putting a lot of faces to
names I had heard of for a long time.  You can read alot about trimming and
setup, but now I know why certain things are done.  All of the other attendees also
had a great time.

Thanks to all of those who helped formulate and put on this great event!  I'm
lookingforward to the next one!

Jon Lowe