Electrics

RUDDERCABL at aol.com RUDDERCABL at aol.com
Tue Sep 27 19:24:52 AKDT 2005

In a message dated 9/26/2005 11:34:13 PM Eastern Standard Time,
jpavlick at idseng.com writes:

Craig,
 Did you ever find out what was wrong with your  OS? I too had some problems
with an OS 160 but it turned out to be bad fuel.  Solved that problem and it's
been running like a small block Chevy ever since.  First start of the day:
Prime the pump, hit it with the starter and it goes  (takes about 5 minutes).
After that, bump backwards and you're off. Plenty of  power, good on fuel. I'm
satisfied. Good luck with your electric projects. If  you want to get rid of
that P.O.S. oil dripping OS 160, let me know.

John  Pavlick

I agree with everything you said except the small block Chevy part (  I'm  a
Ford man ) and have had the exact same results as you with my  OS 1.60s. I am
on my third 1.60 and it is running great. The first two were sold  in a plane
or traded for something that I wanted to try. But they ran great and
performed flawlessly. One was used when I got it and the other was new in box.  The
one I currently fly was purchased new.

The only problems I have had with one was when I was experimenting and
trying to set it up on a pipe. This was before there was a header available  for
one and I modified a Mueller ST2300 header to fit my 1.60. Turned out,  fuel was
my problem. After some failures, I tried a different fuel and my  problems
were gone.

The one thing I have found with both the new 1.60s was that the needles  were
set too rich from the factory. Both needed leaning just to get started the
first time and continued to need leaning through break-in. I have run them with
 the Kline regulator, hopper tank and Perry pump with success. Also with the
Macs  15cc pipe and the OS 1.40RX pipe and the Bisson pitts style muffler.
Have easily  turned props in the 18x10 and 17x12 range and even used the 15.75x13
three blade  APC before I had Dave Lockhart repitch it.

Current 1.60 resides in a QuiQue 72 inch Yak 54. Eleven and a half  pounds.
Mounted on a Gator mount, Perry pump, Bisson pitts muffler, Bolly  18x10 three
blade, running Red Max 25% all synthetic fuel. Performance is  "AWSOME" !

Like you, I use the starter to prime and start for the first run of the  day.
After that, flip backwards and she bust off. At end of flying, I run it dry
and shoot some Moble One in for after run.

As far as I am concerned, the 1.60 is the best "budget" engine on the  market
for those that want to try something different that has the power for the
newer planes. If only OS would trim some weight and offer it with a pump, there
would be many more in use.

Robert Gainey