Smallest Car that Conveniently Holds 2x2 Widebody

randy10926 at comcast.net randy10926 at comcast.net
Wed Sep 7 06:54:40 AKDT 2005

I like my Ranger -  7 foot bed can hold 4 planes with the right setup.   Gets around 20/21 MPG on the highway, about the same around town.  Normal Cab has room for 2.5 people.  My dog counts as the half person.

Randy

I still have the Club Wagon (full-size van) that I drove to the '95 Nats. I can put my Finesse inside without taking it apart, might be able to do that with a 2m. The standard rear bench seat folds into almost a full size bed, and that is where I put my planes when it is just weekend flying. For long distance contests, where I might have someone else with me, the seats come out and the plane rack goes in. I have had three people and all their planes/support equipment inside.

Gas mileage on the interstate is 18, which is great for a van that size. It also holds 35 gallons, which allows driving long distances without gassing up. Coming back from the '95 Nats, we averaged 64 mph INCLUDING the three stops we made for food, gas, and leaks. :-)  Splitting the gas between three people really helps, and makes more sense than driving seperate. The planes ride much better than in a trailer.

This is not an everyday vehicle for us. Mainly for weekends or travel where we need the space. It is almost 12 years old and only has 75k miles.

Having said all that, if I get back into contests much, I'll be using the camper. Only 10mpg, but makes up for that by not having to pay for a hotel, or meals at restaraunts, etc. And it is SO nice not having to worry about packing up everything to get to the hotel and back. Gives me more time to hang out and swap lies with John Ferrell and Carl Zavalney. :-)

Bob R.