Trailers again

Bob Richards bob at toprudder.com
Tue Sep 6 06:45:57 AKDT 2005

John,

I had seen a plane trailer made from a small gutted tent camper years ago. I think the Brunsons in SC had it. Very low profile, lightweight (after all the camping stuff taken out).

Gary Harris built a plane hauler from one of those Northern Tools trailer frames. I think you may have seen it several years ago. Simple plywood floor/sides/top with spring loaded cylinders to hold up the hinged top. Very light. I think if I were to try it, I would go this route but I would use thinner plywood and cover it with a couple layers of glass cloth and polyester resin. Gary's trailer looked like a coffin, which seemed to me to be appropriate - for Gary. :-)

Bob R.

John Ferrell <johnferrell at earthlink.net> wrote:
I am beginning to look at trailers again.
I seem to be aging fast and by the time I get everything out of the motor home to fly I am too tired to do much flying. Hitching the Pace trailer has also become an event that is taxing. Things were best when I was able to keep the plane assembled in the Pace and ready to fly.

The simple solution is to fly smaller airplanes or give it up all together. I am too stubborn for either of those options yet.

The ideal trailer for me is:
Easy to hitch (light weight)
Weather proof... No special storage needs
Big enough for one 2 M pattern plane and related equipment.

It would be a plus to be able to carry the plane assembled.
The best I have seen so far is the one Bryan Hebert has.

What I envision is a low flat trailer with a fiber glass or aluminum box built on a light weight frame like Harbor freight sells.

Any ideas?

John Ferrell
http://DixieNC.US