Li-ion chargiing failures

Keith Black tkeithb at comcast.net
Fri Sep 2 20:19:28 AKDT 2005

I had an NMP failure today. Tuesday night I charged the battery with the NMP charger and tested it. Under no load it was showing 8.44 volts.

Since I'm paranoid I run two batteries, two regulators and two independent switches each going into the RX. My primary pack is on a 5.7 voltage regulator and the other is on a 5.1 voltage regulator. This causes all power to be drawn from the primary pack unless it drops below 5.1 volts. Today I went flying and everything went well, however, upon returning home I put the primary battery on the NMP charger and the charge needle didn't move. After determining the pack was bad I tore it apart and found one cell at 3.87 volts and the other at 0.23 volts.

Based on the amount of voltage drop on the backup pack I believe the primary pack powered one or two of my flights today. Unfortunately I was lazy and didn't check the voltage between every flight so I don't know when it died.  Luckily though I did have a backup battery so I didn't loose my plane "IF" the pack did die during flight.

These packs were purchased March 2004 but weren't used until around May this year, they have 69 flights on them. Keep in mind that the only one of the two that has been repeatedly drawn down is the one that failed.

Other info, I store my plane in my garage which does get quite hot here in TX, but certainly not up to 140 deg.  I don't store my plane in my care other than during transporting to and from the field. Today was a rather mild day in the lower 90's to upper 80's when I was flying.

I post this for others' info and to see if anyone has any info on why this would have failed, I'm not posting to badmouth NMP. In fact, I've really liked the way the NMP batteries have performed up to this point. They are light, easy to charge, and provide a lot of flight time. However this failure is quite disconcerting.

Keith Black