Spektrum Technology

Troy A. Newman troy_newman at msn.com
Mon Oct 24 21:23:10 AKDT 2005

Ok guys it is finally here. This weekend at the Houston(Tomball) SPARKS
contest I was asked a few questions about this new and exciting product. We
as pattern flyers are going to benefit from this.
I have had the opportunity to be flying one of these systems for the last
few months.

http://www.horizonhobby.com/Shop/ByCategory/Product/Default.aspx?ProdID=SPM2460

I have tested this system both my local flying field here in PHX (Sun
Valley) as well as flying foamies and such in my yard and local parks.

The system has been 10000% glitch free. I can't find anything in the system
that responds differently than my 10X. Response time is faster than PCM, the
resolution is excellent, better than anything out there currently for any of
the radios systems. There is nothing about this system that is below
outstanding. Basically the system solves  two very important problems we
have in modeling today:

#1 No frequency control issues. There is no frequency pin needed and you
would not even know which one to choose because the system picks a frequency
that is open when you turn it on. Don't get shot down again. This system can
operate with like 80 different TX's all at the same time and no interference
issues. This will make the frequency pin obsolete! The system boots up about
3-5secs and picks a frequency not being used. It then tells the RX what
channel to listen too and you are done. You don't even know what channel you
are flying on and it doesn't matter either. Another TX turns and scans the
air and picks another frequency and uses it. Its totally user
friendly...Basically you just turn it on and its working. It has a Failsafe
safety feature than can be programmed when you "Bind" the RX to the TX. This
Failsafe works just like PCM failsafe. The Binding process is how you tell
the RX "who's your daddy" This process takes about 20secs and from then on
the RX will only listen to your TX. If a buddy wants to fly it with his
TX....just 20 secs later after you tell "who's the daddy" its now listening
only to that TX. We have all been at an event with the foamy flying at night
and the call for frequency is heard from the other end of the parking lot or
pits. This is never a concern again with the Spektrum System from JR and
Horizon Hobby.

#2 Model generated interference is not an issue. I have tried using this
system on regular brushed electric powered models sometimes in this
environment you can get a glitch or the likes running PPM (FM) systems. This
new 2.4Ghz system eliminates this problem. Its like PCM in that it rejects
bad stuff and keeps the good stuff. From my understanding model generated RF
problems like brushed motors, metal to metal contact (drives FM stuff nuts),
ignition systems, and the likes....this new 2.4ghz stuff is way above those
model generated interference frequencies.

I love the system. I know Horizon has spent a huge amount of time testing
and evaluating this system. It is a revolution in RC.

We have been basically flying on the same types of signals since I have been
involved in RC in 1981. The one big weakness with our 72mhz system in my
mind is no matter how good your equipment is, not matter how much you have
invested in a model, no matter what TX you have 14MZ, 10X or the likes a
shoot down can happen with a attack4 AM radio. The result of a mistake in
the pits or parking lot can cost you your model. A simple mistake by an
experienced or new modeler can cost any of us our models with previous
systems.

We have all heard of the stories about getting shot down.

Well this system is the first step to eliminate this problem! I can say its
been eliminated on this 6 channel radio system. Next step is for big radios.
The RX's are cheap about $60. They are light about 7-8g (6channel RX)and the
RX has 2 different antennae. They are about 3-4" long...so no more stringing
the extra out the tail of the model. There are lots of other advantages in
this new technology. All this and the same high quality stuff that JR
produces with the 72mhz stuff.

This radio system is priced and setup for the park flyers, but its only a
matter of time and we all will be benefiting from this stuff. Besides as
said above making this system available for a good price to the everyday
modeler where it is needed is the first step to really change the way we fly
our models.

If you guys have any questions I would be happy to answer them. My
experience with the system has been absolutely flawless and I know others
have had the same. This stuff is ready for prime time and its going change
things in a huge way.

Troy Newman
Team JR

List members email returned for mailbox full will be removed from the list.