Bad Rules Proposal

Atwood, Mark atwoodm at paragon-inc.com
Mon Oct 24 18:56:22 AKDT 2005

I'm interested in hearing more on this....

Let me express my thoughts which are very subject to influence.

I've heard this argument before...that we must drop the highs and lows
to eliminate potential bias and to help offset the occasional "Snap
Nazi".

First, I'd like to express that dropping both high and low score on a
panel of 5 judges is statistically absurd (from a math perspective).
Even with the old 10-12 judge format it was dicey, but clearly more
effective.  That being said, I would pose the argument that dropping
those scores does more harm than good.

In the case of the "biased" judge...the assumption is that he/she would
be the high or low...which is unlikely to be the case.  There IS
typically a high judge...averaging 9's in the finals...and a low judge
(not sure where that average falls but it's probably down in the 7.5
range for a finals flight...   Regardless...if it any of the 3 lower
scoring judges that's biased in favor of a flight...adding .5 pt or even
a full point to every score still won't get his scores thrown out.  What
you do successfully accomplish is tossing out the same 2 judges...for
virtually every flyer...therefore completely wasting their time AND
defeating the purpose of having 5 judges in the first place.

As for the snap nazi problem...I've seen far more examples of someone
getting scores from 4 judges and a zero from one...for doing the wrong
maneuver (i.e only one judge got it right) than I have the other way
around.  Dropping scores would only serve to squelch the good judge in
that scenario.

This IS a problem...the zero's on Snaps and Spins especially.  I've
become aware that some see zeroing a snap as an easy, uncontested way to
ruin someone's flight.  Pretty petty...but it seems to be the new sheik
form of bias.  Personally...I'd LOVE to see someone propose getting rid
of the "ZERO" criteria since we can't seem to agree on it at all and
simply make poor snaps and poor spin entry's a downgrade...it would
eliminate a lot of bickering...but that's another subject.

As for the dropping of highs and lows...I would like to hear a
compelling and statistically relevant argument (and yes...I would like
to see the math) that shows how this helps our judging with anything
less than 12 judges.

-Mark
AMA Dist III Board member