Bad Rules Proposal

Arch Stafford rcpattern at comcast.net
Mon Oct 24 18:18:21 AKDT 2005

Just wanted to throw out a new rules proposal that I saw recently.  I have
no issues with any part it except the part that they use all judges.  This
is ridiculous in the finals.there is no reason to not drop the high and low
scores from each maneuver.  This is the way the proposal was submitted.  It
can't be changed, it just has to be voted on.  This realistically only
affects a small number of people.  In my opinion we need to make sure that
we contact the competition board to vote this down.  A lot of these rules
just get voted in by people that it doesn't affect.  I hope people will
contact the competition board in your AMA district to vote this down,

Thanks,

Arch

RCA-07-15 - Insert in amend AMA rule handbook page 72, under section 13:
Determining the winner.

Proposed insert at the end of 13.1:  For all AMA classes all judges' scores
are to be included in the tabulation of scores regardless of the number of
judges used in a normal, matrix, or finals round.

If you have concerns either way on this proposal, you should contact your
AMA Contest Board representative and let him know about it. I've included
the whole proposal below. BTW, all the proposals are available on the AMA
site in the Competition section.

RCA-07-15 - Insert in amend AMA rule handbook page 72, under section 13:
Determining the winner.

Proposed insert at the end of 13.1:  For all AMA classes all judges' scores
are to be included in the tabulation of scores regardless of the number of
judges used in a normal, matrix, or finals round.

Proposed insert new 13.2:

At large contests such as a National level contest, the number of
contestants may exceed the time available to run a complete round in front
of the same judges.  In this case the D may elect to use the matrix system
for the 6 round event.

The Matrix system is intended for use in situations where the number of
pilots exceeds that which can be run on 1 site, in front of 1 set of judges,
and within the time limitations of the event.  For example, the Masters
class at the NATS often falls into this category.

The explanation, construction and scoring instructions for the Matrix system
are proposed in 13.3.  Where possible and practical, each competitor will
fly 6 matrix rounds.  The best 4 of 6 rounds will be used to determine the
finalists.  If the event cannot run a finals round due to inclement weather
etc., the best 4 of 6 rounds will be used to determine the winner.

Finals format - If a Finals event is included, the number of finalists will
be 20% of the total or a practical number to match the time available.

The Finals format is also subject to the time available.  The CD can opt to
run a 4 round final, or a 3 rounds (or less) finals.  If a 3 round final is
selected one normalized preliminary overall position score will be carried
over.  To allow for weather problems the best 2 of 2, or 2 of 3 will
determine the winner.  If a 4 round finals is chosen then there will be no
carry over overall position scores.  Again, to allow for weather issues the
best 1 of 1, 2 of 2, 2 of 3 or 3 of 4 normalized finals scores will decide
the winner.  Equal judging exposure will be applied and only completed
rounds will be counted in the final standings.

List members email returned for mailbox full will be removed from the list.