Stabs

Earl Haury ehaury at houston.rr.com
Wed Oct 19 04:06:39 AKDT 2005

In the '70's George Albright designed the Utopia (probably the first complete ready to paint pattern offering) which used a flying stab. I flew them for a couple of seasons - the servos / linkages really weren't good enough back then and stab flutter was a concern, even with proper stab pivot placement and stab balance. As obvious from the number of jets flying successfully with flying stabs, that problem is solvable. (Although I've seen several flying stab flutter failures on fun-fli airplanes.)

However, while the neutral feel was fine, low speed effectiveness was poor - requiring large angles of deflection for take-off, landing, and spin entry. (I know - this is counter intuitive.) Of course, this exasperated the linkage / servo strength issues. I retrofitted one of these airplanes with a conventional stab / elevator and it flew the same - except for much better low speed elevator response. Bottom line - the flying stab provided fewer advantages than disadvantages for pattern in the days of light speed 60-size pattern. With today's equipment and slower speeds - maybe?

Earl