Observation re- the discussion list

John Pavlick jpavlick at idseng.com
Tue Oct 4 15:52:41 AKDT 2005

Since we've been using the "new" system on the discussion list now, I've
noticed something. Apparently a lot of people are using "Reply to All" to
make sure everyone sees their reply. What this does is send 2 messages to
the last person who replied. I now get 2 copies of a lot of messages. Is
this happening to anyone else or just me? Since the original intention was
to reduce the volume on the list, is it really working? Maybe we should
re-think this. When I fist signed up for the list I was surprised to see the
volume. At first it was difficult to sort through all of me Email until I
came up with an easy solution. In Outlook you can use the 'Organize' menu
item (on the 'Tools' menu) to sort your incoming messages. Create a new
sub-directory (folder) under your default mail directory (i.e. 'Inbox')
called NSRCA or something like that. Send everything from
discussion at nsrca.org there. All the stuff from the list goes into this new
directory and all of your other messages go into your default mail
directory. Easy. The other thing I do is to enable the 'Preview' view under
the 'View' menu for my NSRCA messages. That way I can look through them
quickly. I leave this off for my regular Email so that I don't risk
unleashing a virus. I have anti-virus software but let's just say I don't
trust anyone except you guys.

John Pavlick
http://www.idseng.com

BTW - I've actually forwarded messages to the list that only came to me. It
was obvious that the person who sent it wanted it to go to the list, but
just hit 'Reply'.