YS 120 question

Anthony Abdullah aabdu at sbcglobal.net
Mon Oct 3 08:03:11 AKDT 2005

I had a rare opportunity to fly my pattern plane this weekend and noticed that my good ol trusty YS120-FZ seemed a little down on power. It didn't act lean or rich and after the flight the fuel system still had plenty of pressure so I don't have an air leak. The valves were recently adjusted and everything mechanical seems to be in good working order.

I checked the needle settings and ran it up for another flight. On the second flight I noticed that my usual light smoke trail only showed up at certain times. I flew across inverted and had a good healthy smoke trail (inverted mounted engine when viewed upright). Uplines were pretty good, but straight and level flight left no smoke trail.

I landed and fueled up again.

On the third flight, while my helper was holding up the plane and approaching the runway I noticed a relatively large amount of raw fuel blowing out of what looks like the carb area (hard to tell with the prop spinning that fast) when I advanced the throttle. Mind you, nothing has been changed on the engine in quite a while, same prop, same type of plug, same header, same carb, etc.

Question:
does anyone have any idea where the raw fuel might be coming from. I checked the head bolts and they are tight. If it is spraying out of the carb why is it doing that and how can I fix it? Could that curved down tube be leaking fuel at one of the o-rings? Once again, I am not losing any air pressure from the fuel system and the engine is still very reliable except maybe needing a slightly higher than normal idle setting. Other than the raw fuel and being slightly down in power, it still starts and purrs like a kitten.

Anthony