For Sale Suggestions

Ron Van Putte vanputte at cox.net
Mon Oct 3 06:14:47 AKDT 2005

On Oct 3, 2005, at 8:47 AM, <rcaerobob at cox.net> wrote:

> FWIW - from one who has sold a few - Michael is right on, Right, Rick
> Wallace?  One "other" secret I've learned is you have to be willing to
> take a bath on the airframes.  Particularly when more than a couple
> hundred flights or so.  That's when it seems best to part everything
> out.
>
> Of course, the whole 'resale' game is totally screwed because of the
> fickleness of the market, and the "keeping up with the Joneses"
> attitude influencing the game.  That is FURTHER complicated by the
> FACT that the market ain't that big.
>
> Finally - most buyers seem to expect discounts and/or free shipping
> that minimizes the benefit of selling at all.  It's a LOT better when
> the buying price is matched to the practical need of the buyer.
> Right, Ken ?
>
> USE RCU - Plan on eating the shipping. - Don't expect anything
> remotely resembling "fair market value" - and finally - Choose your
> time to offer carefully.

I have also bought a few and sold a few airframes.  For the most part,
the seller has gotten fair value (whether me or the other guy).
However, the attitude of a lot of potential buyers is that the seller
is looking to dump something they no longer want and they should be
willing to "take a bath" on the sale.  I'd rather give the airplane
away to someone who can really use it, but doesn't have the $$, than
accept less than fair value.  There's a lot of potential Pattern
competitors out there who only need a boost to get started and an
airplane might just do it.

Ron Van Putte

List members email returned for mailbox full will be removed from the list.