OS 140 RX pump and carburetor retrofit

vicenterc at comcast.net vicenterc at comcast.net
Sun Nov 27 12:22:55 AKST 2005

Hello all,

I just want to inform my experience using Perry pump with my old OS 140 RX.  The pump in this engine went out after 5 years in very good service.  I can not complain.  I decided to give a try using the Perry pump.  I found that it does not work using the original carburetor.  It appears that the original pump is a high pressure system and the carburetor was designed for that conditions.  I decided to check if the OS 160 FX carburetor fits.  Guess what,  it fits and the combination works perfectly.  I already have around 30 flights with very good results.  Power and idle are very similar to the original set up.  The cost of a new OS 160 carburetor is about $65 and the Perry pump is about $35.  The new pump for the OS 140 RX is about $150.

I did the retrofit since this engine is installed in my old Hydeout that I don't fly that often.  It is clear to me that makes sense to buy the original OS 140 RX pump if you are using the engine in you primary plane.

I when ahead and eliminated the pump in the back plate and installed the pressure nipple in the back plate.  If someone is interesting in doing this retrofit send me an e-mail and I could give more details how I did this.

Have a nice day,

Vicente Bortone