Vinyl

Bill Glaze billglaze at triad.rr.com
Mon Nov 21 09:54:27 AKST 2005

Ed:
I've been cutting vinyl and making signs/banners for about 7 years now.  The vinyl to be used is 2 mil vinyl; it will last longer than the airplane.  (Oops; hope not!)  Try sign supply shops; see if they have any scraps or cutoff ends they would part with cheap.  Otherwise, the quantities might be too large for your purposes.  And yes, the stuff, including the paper backing, cuts very well with a razor blade, or a #11 X-Acto, (my weapon of choice.)  Be sure and use transfer tape after cutting, or you could wind up with a mess.  As far as bubbling, I've used both a pre-prepared application fluid, or, (and this works as good) a little dishwashing detergent in water.  You don't need much detergent, just enough to break the sirface tension of the water.  As far as edges holding up, the stuff works fantastic, providing you totally clean the area for application, and thoroughly, and I mean thoroughly, remove all hint of oil or grease.
Other questions?  Contact me directly and I'll answer any I can.

Bill Glaze