Growing pattern

Bill Glaze billglaze at triad.rr.com
Fri Nov 18 11:43:15 AKST 2005

Chuck (& all)
I would submit that most (probably all) of the BOD are reading this list and seeing the discussions presented here.  (Which, by the way, are most productive and imaginative.)  I think the idea of a combined IMAC/Pattern meet is a good one.  Not toward changing anybody's mind about the other discipline, but simply to take the good ideas that would cross over and could be utilized by both.
A good place to start with this kind of an interdisciplinary meet would be with a club that already has conducted both types of meets, and has enthusiastic backers of both kinds of flying.  Some contestants might come out of the woodwork who all along have been enthusiasts for both types of contests.  I would guess that, if a satisfactory format could be presented, that we might just get a good turnout.  Anybody know such a club that would be willing to take a chance on it?  I'd dust off the Midwest Extra/Moki 2.1 and do both myself.
As a matter of possible interest to this group, when I had attended a couple of Bob Richard's Pattern Clinics, and been mentored by John Ferrell, I began to get interested in Pattern. (After a competition lapse of may years.) When I asked (not  the two gentlemen mentioned) about joining the NSRCA,  it was referred to not as joining the NSRCA, but as "subscribing to the K-Factor."  In other words, the K-Factor was seemingly the major, if not the only, benefit.  Afterward I found, of course, that there were many other reasons, but that was the single one that seemed to be the magnet.  I suppose that non-members could be asked to (or permitted to) get the K-Factor, but since it is our major expense, it would probably cost nearly as much as a full membership.  Would that work for us, or against us?  A good K-Factor, it seems to me, would mitigate toward keeping members, but just how effective is it  in keeping the members interest, and more to the point, how effective as a stand alone item would it be in stimulating interest?

Bill Glaze