Growing pattern

DaveL322 at comcast.net DaveL322 at comcast.net
Fri Nov 18 10:37:47 AKST 2005

Pattern and IMAC share known schedules with the goal of precision and objective judging.

AA and freestyle use F3A and IMAC style planes, and outside of that, have very little to do with pattern or IMAC.

Good AA and freestyle routines that are well choreographed and precisely performed to music are great to watch - and extremely difficult to do.  It is a small percentage of pattern and IMAC pilots that have both the skill and time to put together nice AA/freestyle routines.  I certainly don't have the time to put together such a routine, and am not particuarly interested in watching mediocre routines - especially if they cut into the time for pattern flying (or IMAC sequences).

So far as spectator appeal - most that have done airshows know that the average spectator is the most "wowed" by fast, loud, low, and anything that looks risky.  On paper, none of those qualities are required for AA.

As always, just my opinions.

Regards,

Dave

Bob, I agree with your view here, the list does bring out our laundry. I think the ideas coming from this are encouraging and maybe a special committee might be in order to address this issue specifically.  The District VP’s already have enough on their plate I believe so one member from each District could represent the whole in regards to growth.

I love the mixed event scenario.  One day IMAC, one day pattern and a combo of “Artistic Aerobatics and Freestyle” at the end to music.  Very interesting, and possibly get the backing of the manufactures and create some great prizes, great publicity and great fun.

Chuck