Growing pattern

Grow Pattern pattern4u at comcast.net
Fri Nov 18 06:19:40 AKST 2005

I am sure most of us agree that a lot needs to be done to promote pattern.

Chuck,

           Because this is a discussion list, by definition all that really happens in this list is discussion. It is not a ruling body like the AMA or a society for the promotion of the sport like the NSRCA. It is just a list.
  There is no commitment to act upon anything that is discussed on this list. There never was. The route to get actual action you need to call or write to your representatives. In the NSRCA it is your District VP or the nationally elected NSRCA officials.

  The purpose, Line c,  is what I worry about the most. Many of us do what we can at a local level but far too often I see organizations getting locked into officialdom and position preservation. This list will rally to a point of process, rail on an issue in great detail, but does not get too excited about the steps needed to update our media, to do what it takes to grow our sport, to work at filling positions that are needed, such as the Marketing and communications manager etc.

  Far too often I see disassembly of thought patterns. Misunderstandings of the greater issues. Personalization of points rather than going for the big picture. Maybe most of us are quality assurance engineers at heart and not marketers. Marketing people are not all that loved by sales or engineering people and yet neither often cease to exist if the former does not do its job properly.

  I can hear my political opponents tapping away on their keyboards already. Quite a few players on this list would rather admonish me, type about my faults and what a terrible person I am, rather than look at the subject matter and apply their brain power to possible solutions. Chuck, its clear that you care and have the passion. Please don't ever lose it..

  The plain truth of the matter is that a lot of what we (the NSRCA) should be doing costs money. Lamar has stabilized the cash flow but as always (at least in my 10 years of being close to this) there is not a lot left to do anything creative. The K-factor is a sacred-cow to many and is the arterial flow of the society but IMHO it is not a good promotional document.

  Would you sacrifice an issue or two to produce 30,000 promotional pamphlets or ads in all the big magazines? (Just example thoughts not actuals BTW)

  Any room in that bunker?

  Regards,

  Eric.

  P.S. As an after thought, do you think that anyone reading the list, observing the way it behaves etc would see any reason to join our society? I doubt if my note above would inspire anyone :-(

    Section 2 - Purpose of the Society
      a. Act as a focal point for rules development and progression. Gather intelligence from the AMA precision aerobatics community to provide the basis for AMA rules change proposals

      b. Promote precision aerobatics in the general R/C community by providing leadership in all of the objectives of the society.  .

      c. Enhance model precision aerobatics as a recognized sport.

      d. Develop and provide high standards in judging for competitions and provide qualifications and achievement recognition for judges.