Growing pattern

Thomas P. Fiorentino super7 at adelphia.net
Fri Nov 18 06:03:06 AKST 2005

I'll kick this dead horse a bit more....

First please understand I like pattern...I really do...but for reasons that
are probably different than most people on this list.  I don't compete
either so none of you know me (for those that may be saying "Who the heck is
this guy").  No one at my field flies pattern either although many have
basic pattern capable planes but don't appreciate them as such.

Pattern is to Radio Controlled as Fly Fishing is Fishing or Bowhunting is to
hunting.  There are a lot more involved in the latter than the prior in each
case.  The more specialized an activity the less people are involved....I
just think that is natural.  Specialization in anything takes an incremental
amount of committment that most people are not willing to invest.  I don't
know what percentage of Radio Controlled Airplane enthusiasts are reasonably
involved in pattern.  But it may just be a normal amount (can't define that
obviously) and if so all the head scratching in the world won't increase
numbers.

Having said that though there are always some things that can be done to
maintain one's sport and if it grows a little in the process then thats a
bonus.  As Mr. Hester's post suggests to me anyway this is as simple as
sharing your passion with others.  Give freely of your time and energy to
others when you sense they have a baseline interest in the activity you want
to promote and let the chips fall as they may...

It also helps to look at barriers to pattern as well.  People on this list
have debated the need to have the fancy 2M planes (hard to guess I don't
have one of those)...money....time etc.  But here is something I picked up
years ago at my field as some guys were chewing the fat and it is absolutely
a barrier to pattern:

"Pattern is boring."  I hear it all the time...I don't feel that way but I
always hear it.
"They stand around all day long to fly two of three times...plus they fly so
far away you can't even see or hear the plane!  Plus everyone is quiet like
they are on the first tee of a golf event."

Its hard for folks to make a connection with pattern.  Evidence the
statements above.  What would be the first impression of someone thinking
about taking up radio controlled flying if you took him to a pattern event?
They aren't feeling the competition.  They don't understand scoring.  They
don't understand they are watching prescribed sequences.  And they most
certainly don't appreciate all the great stuff that goes into plane
construction, set-up, technology etc. etc.  So what do they connect with?

Contrast the above with the first impression of  fun-fly, freestlye flying
or IMAC events (which ostensibly don't have the same barrier as I have
defined it).  Here they are more likely to connect with something.  The
young kids think the planes sound cool.  The fancy manuevers...smoke
systems...flying to music...hovering...low passes...combat etc.  It feels
more spectacular.  Sure...just like pattern there is scoring, prescribed
sequences, set-up, plane construction etc.  But that isn't the connection
that is being made.  This doesn't make these events better....just easier
for most people to connect with initially.

Some people end up migrating to pattern but its only after they connect with
RC in another forum or context.  I don't think any of you guys started RC in
pattern...could I be corrected on that?

So this is about pulling people that are already flying into pattern by
getting them to connect.  Thats pretty simple.  Which brings us back to Mr.
Hester....just share your passion.  Help them trim their plane (because
pattern guys are expert at that), let them fly your plane (because they
wouldn't believe how beautiful pattern guys set them up), challenge them to
fly straight and level in a roll (because thats the kind of stuff pattern
lives by) etc.  The rest will take care of itself!

Just my perspective and some food for thought.

Later.