help with chosing airfoil section's for wing and tail. 2 meter

John Ferrell johnferrell at earthlink.net
Tue Nov 15 05:12:42 AKST 2005

I am not familiar with that airplane.
Building a foam wing strong,stiff and precise is easy compared to doing the same with a built up wing.

All pattern birds I am aware of use symmetrical airfoils as thick as they need to be to be strong. dihedral is important. Leading edge sweep is more important than trailing edge sweep. Most designers like the tips to be 50% of the root but this may be influenced by the difficulty in cutting foam at greater than a 2:1 ratio.

The only quality issues that I can think of that condemn a foam wing core are weight poorly formed beads. If you can build a built up wing, you can fix everything else!

Each maneuver flown should be considered when tinkering with wing parameters. There are a lot of nice planes that are tough to snap or spin.

I must have an airplane that helps my weaknesses!

John Ferrell
http://DixieNC.US