What constitutes an FAI flyer.

Earl Haury ehaury at houston.rr.com
Fri Nov 11 06:49:03 AKST 2005

Eric raises points that need discussion (and they're getting it).

We're fortunate to have a large group of F3A competitors in Dist 6, but have no consensus regarding flying the F sequence. Each individual's preference is based mostly on time available for practice and their goals. Folks pursuing careers have barely enough time to be proficient with one sequence at the P or Masters level. Folks with the Nats finals as a goal want to gain competition experience with F. Which way to go comes up at most contests in D6 and it can go either way in a vote. We have even flown "pilot's choice" (more work for scoring) with varying ways to combine P & F results to a common round score.

There's more incentive to fly both P & F with the new Nats format. Given our competitive nature, I suspect more will work with the F sequence (rather than plan on 4 Nats rounds of P - or staying home) and want to "test" it in front of local judges. I also agree that the additional couple of rounds of P on the second day of a local meet are anti-climactic - hardly worth the effort / expense.

The F sequences are a big step and do take time to master, but the difficulty level will cause one to become a much better pilot. They are part of the F3A game and are now more a part of the Nats. Our Masters class is well suited in challenge and competition for those without the time or interest in pursuing a program as demanding as F3A.

The F3A unknowns is another can of worms in many folks view. The method of choosing maneuvers (by the pilots) is cumbersome at best. Something similar to the IMAC program makes more sense (maybe "borrow" IMAC unknowns for local meets?) Before anyone blows a gasket - this isn't a call to include unknowns in local meets. But it might be fun to add as an extra attraction after the event is complete (usually early afternoon) for those that wish to stick around and fly.

Then there are the judging concerns. A certified judge with some experience should be able to handle any sequence - one maneuver at a time. There's nothing wrong with having a judge's "caller", as long as the judges are as far behind the pilot as recommended (7 - 10 meters), and is almost mandatory for unknowns.

Concerns really revolve around staying within one's "comfort level" or reaching out for a challenge with a chance of improvement - be it a pilot or a judge.

Earl