What constitutes an FAI flyer.

Bob Richards bob at toprudder.com
Fri Nov 11 05:21:11 AKST 2005

In reading this, two things came to mind (which have, to some extent, been voiced by others).

Making FAI fly two schedules at every contest is another reason for people to stay in Masters rather than get their feet wet in FAI. For some, it might be an attraction, but I suspect for most it would be a deterent.

You want competent judging, but having two schedules for FAI complicates that, at least for the local contests that use contestant judging. The Masters pilots are your best source for judges, and after a while they get used to looking at/judging FAI P schedules. And when they see the F schedule -- more reason for them to stick to flying Masters.

JMHO.

When I went to the '95 Nats, I flew in FAI. I decided early in the season that I was not going to practice the finals schedule -- AT ALL. My reason was that I would be lucky to make it into the finals (was actually a goal of mine) but I figured I would have to spend all my practice just on the prelims. I did not make it into the finals :-(  In my opinion, the only flyers that would be interested in spending time practicing the F schedule would be those bound for a nationals or team selection event.

I don't think Eric is arrogant, I just think he wants to start a dialog on the subject. In my experience, if you REALLY want to know what EVERYONE thinks, you have to say something that ticks everyone off. Just asking a simple question often does not get a response. Eric got a response!! :-)

Bob R.

Steven Maxwell <patternrules at earthlink.net> wrote:
 Instead of trying to discourage people from flying FAI you should trying to encourage it , all local contest that I have seen have many more Masters flyers than FAI, very unbalanced.
 If your intent was to make some of us feel bad about flying FAI congratulations you have succeeded.
 Hasn't it been voted on many times that the masters want there own schedule not the P pattern.
 You stated that most FAI pilots only fly P , then in your next sentence you say then we're not FAI if we don't fly both.
If you think this is how you GROW PATTERN  you are really missing the boat.
Your arrogance is appalling.
 Steve Maxwell