Snaps and Prop

Bob Richards bob at toprudder.com
Thu Nov 10 18:44:00 AKST 2005

If I had to guess, I would say gyroscopic precession.  This could either hurt or help the snap. The effect will be more pronounced with a heavier prop and higher rpm when entering the snap. It is also quite likely that with a heavier prop it will snap better in one direction than the other, with a lighter prop the difference between directions will be less.

brian young <brian_w_young at yahoo.com> wrote:
Curious whether anyone else has noticed this. I was trying a 18x10 Biela on my Impact w/ 1.60YS today. Previously using a 16x11 3 blade by Cleveland Cyclonic. I notice with the Biela the plane snapped easier.

Anyone care to explain if this makes sense?