FW: F3A judges for local comps

Atwood, Mark atwoodm at paragon-inc.com
Wed Nov 9 15:57:13 AKST 2005

We have done this several times with our masters group with OK
success...it's not ideal, but it can work and is MUCH MUCH MUCH MUCH
better than trying to train club judges or even trying to have
Intermediates "Step up" to the challenge.  It's just too easy for
experienced flyers to hide their corrections for them to see...

A few suggestions we learned after our first bout with this.

1) Do NOT throw out highs and lows...  You'll get much less biased and
over all more accurate scores keeping all the scores.

2) you'll need to have 2 pilots not judging...allow the person "on deck"
to not judge the flight prior to flying...gives them time to prep, get
their plane fueled, radio ready, and most important...time to rest their
eyes and collect their thoughts.

3) YOU MUST "redraw" the flight order each round.  You can't simply
rotate the pilots up and down.  If you do, the same judges will always
be on/off for a given pilot.  If there is a "high" judge (there always
is) or a "Low" judge, you want to make sure everyone has some exposure
to them.  Unfortunately...there is no way to subject the "low" judge to
himself...lol

We usually will remove the person who "started" the round from the draw
to make sure they don't start the round twice in a row, but other than
that, it's a random draw for each round.

Again..this is not the best solution overall, but it's resulted in far
better judging than the alternative.

-Mark