Matrix again

George Kennie geobet at gis.net
Sun Nov 6 10:18:26 AKST 2005

I think that I must be missing something somewhere regarding the
implementation of the matrix system.
My understanding is that the intent of using a matrix is to
eliminate the condition where some poor bloke has to fly against
Chip or Jay or Quique every round, every day, thus ending up pushing
him further and further from the cut-off point by the end of
prelims.
My problem, as I read Mr. Henderson's column in the latest K-Factor,
is that he outlines a frequency matrix as follows: " Day #1, (A, B)
(C, D) (E, F) (G, H), Day #2 (A, C) (E, G) (B, D) (F, H), Day #3,
(A, B) (F, H) (C, D) (E, G)."
Once again, my understanding is that, in the interest of fairness,
noone should be required to fly against the same opponent more than
once, if at all possible, and yet if one studies the above quoted
matrix, it quickly becomes apparent that on Day #4 there are no less
than 4 of the frequency groups that have already competed against
each other, that being, (A, B) (F, H) (C, D) and (E, G).
Now I'm ready to acknowledge that there must be some other variable
that I'm not aware of that might influence the equation, however in
the event that it might have been an oversight, I would respectfully
offer the following arrangements as possible viable alternatives:
Day #1 ( A, B) (C, D) (E, F) (G, H), Day #2, (A, C) (B, D) (E, G)
(F, H), Day #3 (A, D) (B, H) (C, E) (F, G).
These groupings still fly before the same sets of judges as outlined
in the K-Factor article.Nothing has to change there. And if these
groupings are not to your liking, maybe the following would be more
suitable:  Day #1 (A, B) (C, D) (E, F) (G, H), Day #2 (A, H) (B, G)
(C, F) (D, E), Day #3 (A, E) (B, H) (C, G) (D, F),  and just to
round it out a little further, and increase the selection pool,
let's try the following:  Day #1 (A, B) (C, D) (E, F) (G, H),  Day
#2 (A, G) (B, F) (C, E) (D, H),  Day#3 (A, E) (B, H) (C, F) (D, G).
There you have it! Take your pick. Three choices where nobody
complains about the plight of being forced to compete against God
three days in a row, and how were they ever going to have a chance
in and unfair world.
Just thought I'd throw these options out in case anybody was
interested.
Georgie

List members email returned for mailbox full will be removed from the list.