The original problem

John Pavlick jpavlick at idseng.com
Thu Nov 3 19:08:35 AKST 2005

Guys,
 I seem to remember the "problem" started when people were getting a lot of
mail from the list and it was becoming a chore to sort through it. If you
receive all of your mail into a common directory ("folder") this does
happen. The way that we attempted to solve the problem actually created
another one. Put another feather in Murphy's cap (like he needs it). The
original problem wasn't so much the volume of mail or even the subject
matter. Quite frankly it's not too hard to delete a message if you don't
want to read it. The problem was trying to find messages from people who
weren't on "the list". You know, the important stuff like how to re-grow
hair and how to increase your - woops, let's not go there. What we needed
was a way to sort mail, not necessarily a way to reduce the volume of mail
on the list. What I did was simple. Anybody can do it. First, you need to
create a new directory / folder where your NSRCA mail will go. I made this a
subdirectory under my Inbox "folder". If you're using Outlook for your
Email, you can use the Organize tool available on your Tools menu when
you're in the Inbox pane. You make a rule that tells Outlook to send any
mail received from the discussion list into this directory / folder. Easy.
When you receive mail, all mail addressed to your personal Email address
goes into the same place it always does, but all of the mail addressed to
the discussion list goes into this new directory. You don't need to have an
additional Email address (although that works fine too) if you use this
method so anyone should be able to set it up quickly. When you want to read
your NSRCA mail, switch to that directory. Hope this helps. Oh yeah, I vote
for the "Old Way".

John Pavlick
http://www.idseng.com