Glow Engine Vs. Electric Engine for 2 m' pattern plane

Richard Strickland richard.s at allied-callaway.com
Tue May 31 09:05:03 AKDT 2005

Bob,

My knowledge of controllers is VERY limited.  I DID suggest to FMA that
regeneration would be a potential project for them down the road--Why waste
all that energy!  Apparently, there were (maybe are) some brushed type
controllers that did a little of that--but since I only jumped into the E
side of things last fall--I don't know much history.  The battery set-up
weighs about 2lbs., 5oz. including the discharge protection modules.  Greg
Covey has an Icepoint E evaluation coming out soon on RCU that shows the
config. with some smaller batteries.  At 67 amps usage, I'm getting about a
57 degree average rise and Orland at 62-4 amps is getting about 10-15
degrees ave. rise cooler--and he's getting through the pattern with decent
performance and reserve.  Both airplanes have solid  CF nose ring mounts
with end grain reinforced balsa rear containing mounts with as little
material as possible remaining.  The motors and controllers seem to be
handling the amperage OK--HackerXL50/14s 6.7:1 and Master 90 Acro
Controllers.  We went for 3:1 ventilation--not quite there but almost.
COOLING IS A BIG DEAL--Get as much as you can through the fuse!  I suggest
having a least one exit close to the batteries.  BTW, the canopy is still
tighter after 45 flights than after a couple with the same airplane with IC
and soft mount.  Pretty amazing.

Sorry, I get started on this stuff and I can't quit.

Richard