Fw: Re Dist I Sportsman Championship

Ron Lockhart ronlock at comcast.net
Fri May 27 08:16:45 AKDT 2005

Posted in behalf of John Pavlick.
Ron Lockhart

----- Original Message -----
From: idsmail at att.net
To: ronlock at comcast.net
Sent: Friday, May 27, 2005 11:23 AM
Subject: Another message

Ron - I'm at work so I'm limited as far as "the list" goes. I can get Email but I can't post to the list. Could you copy this message and forward it to the D1 discussion group  dist1 at nsrca.org ? Thanks!

John Pavlick

http://www.idseng.com

Dean et al,

 I still don't understand how abolishing the "Championship" achievement is going to make any difference. I see Dave's point - kind of doesn't make sense as far as wording goes, but the reality is I don't think it would make any difference one way or another if there was no "Sportsman Champion". When I started flying pattern the last thing that went through my mind was winning any kind of points championship. There are plenty of other things to worry about. As far as making Sportsman more "entry level friendly": Instead of abolishing the achievemment award - how about making some rules that don't allow 2-meter planes in Sportsman or something like that. Remember the old "no pipes or retracts" rules? That does more to keep the cost down than anything else. Look at what they do in racing classes (no aluminum heads / no 4bbl carbs, etc.) That keeps the cost down to a point but someone always pushes the envelope. The perception is that the hardware will triumph over skill (or lack thereof). How many $500.00 golf clubs have you seen? Those of us who can read between the lines know this isn't true, but marketing strategy prevails.

 On another note, here's a reality check. In my second contest - I got booted out of Sportsman. What a stupid rule. As long as 7 guys show up - 3 of them are screwed. Now we all know how well a 40 size Kaos would do in 402. See what I did (thanks Ed and Rick)? Two Focii (and a new radio and GMC truck) later I'm still flying. I'm not hoping to win the 402 "Championship" this year. Or next. Just want to fly better and have a good time with my new friends. See you at Pocono!

John Pavlick

http://www.idseng.com

2nd place 2004 / D1 Sportsman

  -------------- Original message from "Dean Pappas" <d.pappas at kodeos.com>: --------------

  Hey Gang,
  Those of us who have been at this game forever are weighing in, mostly on the side of trying to take the impression that you need a major commitment to fly Sportsman: both financially, and timewise.
  We might be forgiven if some of us (myself included) thought that not having a points race in Sportsman would make that first hurdle feel lower.

  Simple question for only the guys who flew Sporstman within the last five or so years ...
  Did the points race in Sportsman add to your perception of difficulty,  make the "entry fee" to swim in the big pool seem bigger,  or raise the needed level of committment?

  It's pretty obvious that what I think is not the issue! Those of you who have more recent memories of the entry-level can offer me some guidance.

  P.S. I seem to be utterly unable to sign on to the NSRCA discussion list, so if someone places this same question there, that might throw a wider net.
  Regards,
      Dean

  Dean Pappas
  Sr. Design Engineer