4-stroke carbon pipe design Q's

Bob Richards bob at toprudder.com
Mon May 23 17:48:00 AKDT 2005

Bill,

Ok, if I understand you correctly, the low pressure
helps suck in the new fuel/air mixture during the
valve overlap.

Come to think of it, isn't this similar to the way a
pulse jet works?

I guess any kind of backpressure would defeat or
minimize the process, which I think is the case with
our setups.

Bob R.

--- Bill Glaze <billglaze at triad.rr.com> wrote:
> Bob:
> One small correction: the outgoing exhaust pulse,
> which is under
> pressure, creates a small vacuum behind itself as it
> escapes; this
> creates a low pressure area that helps draw the new
> charge into the
> combustion chamber.  I've used a "tuned" exhaust on
> engines as large as
> 540 cu. in. The tuning takes a little time on the
> race course, but it's
> really worth it.  It doesn't work quite the same
> with a blown
> (supercharged) engine, because the blower pressure
> masks the small (by
> comparison) vacuum behind the outgoing exhaust.
> Bill Glaze

List members email returned for mailbox full will be removed from the list.