4-stroke carbon pipe design Q's

Bill Glaze billglaze at triad.rr.com
Mon May 23 16:55:18 AKDT 2005

Bob:
One small correction: the outgoing exhaust pulse, which is under
pressure, creates a small vacuum behind itself as it escapes; this
creates a low pressure area that helps draw the new charge into the
combustion chamber.  I've used a "tuned" exhaust on engines as large as
540 cu. in. The tuning takes a little time on the race course, but it's
really worth it.  It doesn't work quite the same with a blown
(supercharged) engine, because the blower pressure masks the small (by
comparison) vacuum behind the outgoing exhaust.
Bill Glaze