4-stroke carbon pipe design Q's

Bob Kane getterflash at yahoo.com
Mon May 23 11:16:54 AKDT 2005

--- patterndude at comcast.net wrote:
> I've gotten a lot of recomendations to add a carbon
> lightweight 4-stroke pipe to our lineup so I'm
> starting to look at a 4 stroke pipe design.  I have
> some questions:
> 1. What are the proper pipe inlet diameters that you
> desire on pipes

for me 5/8", inlet OD, with a bead to hold the Teflon
coupler.

> 2. Worst reasonable case: how close is the pipe to
> the exhaust port

I assume by worst case you mean closer . . .  probably
6"

> 3. What max temperature at the inlet do you suspect
> (I'll be doing detailed research on this but want
> your opinion).

No idea, but running the engine on the lean side can
burn up the 500 degree F Teflon coupler in a couple of
flights.

> 4. Is it possible to tune a 4 stroke at all, or is
> the muffling the only goal?  If tuning is possible,
> how does this work?

Yes it is possible, but probably of little value on YS
motors since they are supercharged on the intake side.
I would be interested in maximum muffling with a
minimum of restriction.

Also, do some research on pipe diameter. I bought an
ES composite pipe a few years ago but had to sell it
because it would not fit in the pipe tunnel. This
should be less of an issue now with the popularity of
two-strokes, but something to keep in mind.

> --Lance
>
> --
> District 6 AVP
> www.aeroslave.com