Take Off & Landing "Reality of a Contest"

Larry Diamond lld613 at psci.net
Sun May 22 13:57:34 AKDT 2005

I know there has been much discussion on this, but after CDing a contest
this weekend, I believe there needs to be a clear understanding of what is
expected in two areas.

1)	When to call "Take-Off complete / Landing commencing". When does it
need to be called? After exiting the Box for the last maneuver for Landing.
Prior to entering the box for the trim pass on Take-Off. This is what makes
sense to me from CDing a contest.

2)	Is a Dead-Stick Landing a "Zero Landing"? At the beginning of our
contest I stated that we would not zero TO / L for calling. So we scored all
landings. However, if a dead-stick prevents completing the prescribed
maneuver, then a zero is really the most likely result at the NATS. I don't
believe this was intended.

The Judging committee should really jump on this and get clarification out
as quickly as possible for the "Official Judge Ruling" People are trying to
practice this and although seemingly easy on paper, the execution of calling
and judging properly does get a bit confusing...We need to make sure
everyone is practicing this correctly before the NATS or it will be a
potential area of concern for the CD's...

Larry Diamond
NSRCA 3083