[SPAM] Re: [SPAM] Re: A Bearing Tip - Boca Bearing Newsletter

Wayne Galligan wgalligan at goodsonacura.com
Fri May 20 10:22:57 AKDT 2005

I have been using the Bearings Limited bearing from Purvis and they are steel with seals and I just leave the seals in.  So far about 300 flights my OS  engine and no signs of problems.  So I think if you go with the stainless and leave the seals in they should go far a long time like the others have stated. The first time I used the Bearings Limited version I took the seal out and the bearing only lasted about 30 flights.

I have to raise a point here about the issue of taking the seal out.  If you take the seal off the front part of the bearing leaving the rear seal in it is still a sealed bearing because the front of the bearing will be sealed by the crankcase itself.  As Bob's post states "shield"  this could mean the bearing is not truly sealed.

I am willing to bet that next time I change my sealed bearing that I could remove one of the seals and there will still be lube in it.   We use sealed bearings in many applications that do not require any outside lubrication influence, i.e.  alternators,brushless motors(20k plus rpm),fan motors, wheel bearings.

I am convinced the rust is the number one contributor to bearing failure and load being secondary.
I run two head shims so this could also be the reason my bearings are holding up better then some.

Wayne G.