Fail-safe settings for control surfaces

Rick Kent knowhow3 at bellsouth.net
Tue May 17 06:12:39 AKDT 2005

It would be interesting to see statistics on how often a plane comes out of
failsafe and the pilot regains control before meeting with Mother Earth. It
s never happened for me, but admittedly, I don't use the feature often. Had
two sport airplanes go into lockout when I did use it, and I watched both
spin in.
I agree a spin recovery isn't the easiest thing to execute down low when you
re in a panic, but I'd venture to say it would buy you more time than being
in a vertical dive while in lockout would--IF the receiver recovers signal
in time. I think it just comes down to dumb luck really, in what
attitude/altitude the plane is in when the lockout occurs. The question is
what are the odds that your plane would only go into lockout in level flight
vs. the middle of a snap, roll, inverted dive, etc. Assuming worst case
scenario, i.e., no signal recovery, the spin at least puts the plane back on
the field so you can find it, and hopefully the spin would serve to somewhat
lessen the descent speed at impact. Maybe a flat spin would be better in
that regard.

My luck with such things dictates that it doesn't really matter what I plan
for--the plane's going in, and hard.

Rick