Remember the broken arm lawsuit?

Gray E Fowler gfowler at raytheon.com
Fri May 13 05:28:48 AKDT 2005

Yesterday the Richardson Radio Control Club (Texas) and Alice Fishel went
to court over a broken arm. Ms. Fishel did indeed claim that she walked
outside her trailer, and was distracted by an RC airplane, tripped, fell
and broke her arm. She was suing for about $2000 for pain, suffering,
medical and court costs.
Our club obtained a lawyer for advice prior to the hearing, which was good
because it totally change our strategy. The results were as follows:

Today was the hearing for the suit filed against the Richardson Radio
Control Club by Alice Fishel.   The case was dismissed by Judge Raleeh
(Justice of the Peace).  His comments:
·         The suit was filed without any evidence of cause for the injury claimed.
·         He found no negligent action by the RRCC.
·         Based on Alice Fishel's account (distracted by plane, fell in yard and
broke arm) he found her own action caused the injury.
·         The judgment was found in favor of the defendant (RRCC).
·         The plaintiff will pay court costs (Alice Fishel).

Gray Fowler
Principal Chemical Engineer
Composites Engineering