YS 140 Help

hotrod34a at aol.com hotrod34a at aol.com
Mon May 2 03:08:43 AKDT 2005

Jerry,
We have quite a few Sports in our club, and all of us are running the 30% nitro, especially in the warmer weather.  They are a little sensitive on the needle valve setting.  We had a situation here where our engines started doing basically the same thing that you described, start fine, idled fine, then you could not seem to get the high end leaned out enough before they would start sagging, meaning that they were lean, but would be smoking a lot.  Found out it was a fuel problem, we had received a batch that did not have enough nitro content.  Replaced the fuel with good 30% and all of our engines started running perfect again.  There is an issue with the low end loading up and there is a fix for that if you are having that problem, but it sounds like your problem is on the high end.  As a reference, most of us are running a 16x11 APC prop and they turn approx 8800 static rpms.  We are only 14 feet above sea level, don't know where you are located at, but that would make a difference on rpm.  Anyway, would suggest a higher content nitro if you have some.  Larry