JR 10SX

John Pavlick jpavlick at idseng.com
Mon Mar 21 21:12:55 AKST 2005

Yeah, I agree with Eric. As far as I'm concerned, the new Futaba radio
(14MZ) is really nice looking, and of course I wouldn't mind having one BUT
since I don't fly the really big stuff where 14 channels is a big help
(multiple servos on each control surface), it wouldn't be much of an
improvement over my 9ZAP. It seems like the RF section is always an
after-thought. I remember when all the "new" frequencies were being
discussed (pre 1991 times). One of the ideas behind getting all the new
frequencies was to reduce the chance of someone being on your frequency. I
always thought a better approach would have been to make everything with
synthesized RF decks. Since the plan we adopted ended up making a lot of
otherwise good equipment obsolete anyway, I don't see what the problem would
have been. We wouldn't need as many channels that way either (more room for
other stuff). If you can select your frequency, rather than just increase
the odds of not being on someone else's frequency, then the real problem is
solved. I seem to recall that Kraft had synthesized RF and "narrow band" FM
equipment before anyone else. Almost every major radio manufacturer has some
type of synthesized RF deck today.
 If you add the synthesized RF deck to a digital encoding "code hopping"
transmitter and receiver you have a good solution to our newest problem. As
long as the receiver isn't swamped by a very high output transmitter, this
is safer than what we have now. A code hopping system uses a digital
encoding scheme in addition to the base frequency. The "digital key" changes
when the system powers up. You don't even know it's happening. Even if
someone is transmitting on the same frequency, if the "keys" don't match the
receiver won't respond. That's over simplifying a bit but that's the basic
idea. There's more to the link than just the RF frequency, which as we all
know is not always exclusive. Clothes pins with channel numbers are not
exactly a foolproof method of securing your frequency. This kind of stuff is
in $40.00 cordless phones and garage door openers - remember the old garage
door openers that used to open for "no reason"? How do you think they fixed
that? Why can't this technology be used in a $2000.00 radio? If we keep
building bigger and bigger airplanes and controlling them with what is
basically outdated technology, it's only a matter of time...
John Pavlick
http://www.idseng.com