Notes to Self 4

Tim Taylor twtaylor at ftc-i.net
Mon Mar 21 06:04:34 AKST 2005

The Opening scene. Local Flying field

Setup: Dead calm winds, partly cloudy, the Day we've been waiting for!

As we pick up our continuing saga of TimmyT's planned return to the pattern warns. We see our fearless leader and his faithful caller "Flying Buddy"  starting the airplane on the stand.

"Oh man this thing is starting easily now there Flying buddy! must be breaking in nicely"  As our fearless leader turns around to place something back into the trailer ( Flying buddy has the transmitter)  he hears the engine rpm's come up and flying buddy Holler "OH &$^%($^%)# . As TimmyT turns around he sees the airplane, still in the stand coming up tail first with the nose headed for the ground still running. Fast as a flash , with a broken in half fuse picture in his minds eye, He grabs for the airplane and manages to catch the right wing front and rear and stop the whole contraption from impacting the ground and doing major damage. "Damn I didn't know it'd do that says Flying Buddy!  "Well now you do so DON'T do that anymore"!!!!!!!  Why is the right aileron stuck down about 30 degrees? Turn the airplane over and look at the aileron and find that the hard point is broken loose. Well so much for flying today. TimmyT starts to take the airplane apart and put it back into the trailer as FlyingBuddy makes some excuse that he has to go to an appointment that he suddenly remembered.

Next Scene is our Hapless leader working on the airplane back at the shop.

"Any more help like this and I've had it". Ok lets see what it's going to take to fix this. Ok that was a clean break the hard point just came loose and the hole is pretty much intact. So break out the 5 minute epoxy and reglue the aileron hard point back in. While doing that we'll change the 1100ma battery pack for the 1800ma pack to see if we were really that tail heavy.   Ok that's all done so let's look outside and make sure Flying Buddy isn't back from his "Appointment" yet. Nope coast is all clear.

Next scene our somewhat ego deflated hero is back at the flying field ALONE!

Ok take off run is sweet, climb out is good and trim pass the elev trim seems to be off, oh ya that's right I put the bigger battery in this thing to move the cg forward.  Ok the airplane handles much better than it has in the past, must have been fighting a balance problem all along. Ailerons are back to their normal self and we're now deciding to it's time to practice.

What is the sequence that I'm supposed to be flying again? Oh yes it's a reverse Cuban followed by a stall turn to a slow roll, what the heck comes after that? (*^%*)#%_(*^%_(#%^ Flying Buddy has the call sheet in his pocket. Ok that's enough for today pack the airplane up and we'll start fresh tomorrow.

Fade To Black as our mentally drained pattern flier locks the gate to the flying field and heads home.

Stayed tuned for tomorrow's going be wild trying to put the whole sequence together into one single flight.