PowerTork starter

Jerry Budd jerry at buddengineering.com
Mon Mar 14 00:03:57 AKST 2005

I've had one of these since last June.  I ordered it from Pacific
Aeromodels with the dual 3000 mah NiMH battery packs and the large
starter cone but they sent it with the smaller one.  After calling
them I received the larger cone a few days later.  Then when I went
to use it I found out that one of the cells was bad.  I sent the
flawed pack back with a note explaining the problem, initially they
claimed the pack was fine, then they sent me a replacement pack.

The starter cone is not at all soft, mine was as hard as a radial
tire.  Wouldn't grab the TruTurn spinner worth a damn.  Finally I
bought a custom molded silicone cone for it from Hap Miller at Miller
R/C at the AMA show in Ontario in January.  $14, grips the spinner
like crazy now.  The starter itself is OK, it'll turn over the Webra
160 without much problem, unless it's cold out, then it struggles a
bit.  It is stronger than a Kavan, but not as good as a Sullivan 12v
running on 22.5v (my favorite).

I wouldn't buy it from Pacific Aeromodels again, they're a pain to
deal with (just talking to them on the phone is difficult - clearly
English is not their first language), and I understand there are
other places to buy the same starter.  The battery support brackets
aren't very well designed and are made of plywood painted black, and
the batteries tend to slide around in the mounts (fixed that with
some ProBond).

BTW - I know someone who has the Central Hobbies starter; they said
they wouldn't buy it again either.  IIRC the batteries that came with
it weren't any good, and they said it wasn't very comfortable to
handle.  Last I heard they were going to send it back to Central and
ask them to exchange it for a Kavan.

Jerry

--
Jerry Budd