Rules Changes----Advancement

Grow Pattern pattern4u at comcast.net
Wed Mar 9 07:16:48 AKST 2005

Mark,
          I always favor education over legislation but we always seem to need rules.

Although I try to see these issues from other peoples viewpoint I do tend to fall back on my own standards. I never entered pattern with a view to be a district champion or stay in any particular class. With that in mind I never saw a problem with a guy staying in a class, at least until I flew in Masters.[no shots intended at anyone in masters here - it's just that pilots stay there a long time and they are much harder to beat due to their experience]

If there was a guy who was killing us in 402 I just thought, "good luck to him". As soon as I was ready I moved up to Advanced and then Masters. I never had a desire to stay in a "building-block" class and soon got the message if I was in there too long from my friends teasing me.

Now I hop back and forth between FAI and Masters depending upon what I am flying and what I want to do in the year. I like the freedom of being able to choose which class I fly and how much practice I can devote to it.

You can't do that with 401-403 and 404, and yet I wonder if it would make a difference? I think that you could let people elect to go back and fly a class for a year, but if they win, say three contests with 5 contestants in it, then they have to move back up.

Just thinking out loud,

Regards,

Eric.