Another box rule (discussion)

Daniel J. Hamlett d77hamlett at comcast.net
Tue Mar 8 08:01:48 AKST 2005

I would have to agree with you.  I enjoy the challenge of being required
to fly in the box, but at the same time I can understand a person being
a little hesitant to get into pattern if they feel that the box that we
fly in is out of there comfort range of what they are used to flying
in.  If it was just a comfort thing, then it could be worked through.
If it is a physical limitation i.e. they can't see the plane they are
flying.  I think that we should offer some type of option for such a
person.  What I don't know, but I think that we should offer something.
How many people are not getting into pattern because of eye sight
issues.  I know from personal experience that I could see my plane very
well when I was flying sport.  Once I started flying pattern the guys at
my field ( 4 current pattern guys one of which is the Dist. 1 Champ in
intermediate in 04 ) said that I was flying in way too close.  If I flew
out where they were telling me to fly I couldn't see what ming wing tips
were doing or where they were.  I had to bite the bullet and go buy
glasses that I really don't need for anything else.  So what about the
people that couldn't run out and buy glasses.  What about the guys that
flew pattern 10 years ago that want to get back in but can't see like
they used to with our with out glasses ( no offense)?Should that be the
only factor that keeps someone out of competing.

I hope that this will not cause anyone to be offended, just my $.02 on a
subject that I think should be looked into a little more.

Dan Hamlett
District 1
NSRCA#3814