growing pattern

BUDDYonRC at aol.com BUDDYonRC at aol.com
Mon Mar 7 15:25:27 AKST 2005

In a message dated 3/7/2005 5:33:50 PM Central Standard Time,
jpavlick at idseng.com writes:

Bob,
Yeah, I agree. We need to improve our "exposure" if you will.  Last Summer,
I was looking for pattern contests. Nobody in my area knew  where any were or
even if people still flew pattern! I somehow missed the  NSRCA booth at the
WRAM show last February too. One of my club members  happened to find a
K-Factor somewhere and gave it to me. Here I am. Flew  Sportsman last year
with a 40 size Kaos, now I've got a Focus for  Intermediate.
As far as magazine coverage goes -you're pretty much right  about that too.
3D, parkflyers and big scale aerobatic stuff are in the  spotlight now. Fear
not. Dean has a pattern column in Flying Models. I'm  working with Fly RC
magazine. I'm sure there are a few other guys out there  too. Don't forget
about Eric in M.A. I'm reviewing some stuff now that  would be great for an
intro to pattern - 90 size ARFs (and some smaller  ones too) that can fly
Sportsman and Intermediate. I think Dean has done a  few reviews along these
lines too. If you want to see more pattern planes  in the magazines, take the
time to write to the editors. We get review  airplanes based on what the
readers want - not necessarily what we want. If  there are lots of requests
for more pattern planes, motors, etc. it will  make the editors take notice.
They always need stuff to fill up the  magazine so a few pictures of your
plane and a short note might get  published in the "readers" section.
I think you'll see things improving  soon. In the meantime, try to get some
guys in your club interested in  pattern if you can. One way to get their
attention is to point out how  precision aerobatics skills can be helpful for
3D flying. This has worked  for me on at least two occasions. Ask them: "Can
you use the rudder  effectively in a hover, when you're looking at the bottom
of the plane?" If  the answer is "No" (it usually is), show them what we're
all about. a lot  of guys are afraid of the rudder. Show them how to use it
and tell them how  you learned these skills, etc. Either that, or help them
trim one of their  planes to fly correctly (OK, just do your best - sometimes
it's almost  impossible). They'll come around.

John  Pavlick
http://www.idseng.com

---
Checked by  AVG anti-virus system (http://www.grisoft.com).

To access  the email archives for this list, go  to
To be removed from  this list, go to http://www.nsrca.org/discussionA.htm
and follow the  instructions.

I think These are good points we need take a hard look and see how we can
each make a move in this direction I agree pattern is STEALTH now
Buddy