FW: RE: FW: Help!!!

steven maxwell patternrules at earthlink.net
Sun Mar 6 16:37:22 AKST 2005

Steven Maxwell
patternrules at earthlink.net
EarthLink Revolves Around You.

email, and email can have some strange excentricities.

> Email goes through email servers, one on each end. In the situation of
the list server, add in a third server in the middle.

> Any of the servers can get busy, bogged down. Here is an example:
>
> Lets say you have sent out a message to the list server. Your email
program does not talk directly to the nsrca list server, it hands the email
off to an email server provided by your ISP (in this case AOL).  Your ISP's
mail server then queues up your message until it has time to try and
contact the nsrca server. Depending how busy it is, this could be 1 second,
minutes, or in rare cases (during a spam storm) hours.

> Once your ISP server has time, it will try to contact the nsrca mail
server. If the nsrca server is not busy, the message is transferred, and
queued for send out to the list members. If it is busy (maybe with other
nsrca list stuff, but could be one or more of their other commercial
clients--nscra just rents space from an ISP) then it sends a short message
back to your ISP server "busy-wait". So AOL's server puts it in a delay
queue, and after it takes care of the other 15 million client messages
waiting in its queues, tries again. Oh, but it gets another busy-wait
message, it doubles the delay time and waits again.  With busy traffic, and
doubling of the delay time for each busy-wait times, messages can get
wait-delay times 24 hours or longer.

> This same process can happen on the distribution of the message out to
the list members as well. For example, when the nsrca server tried to
contact the AOL server, if it got a wait-busy reply, it puts the message to
you in a wait queue and goes on through the rest of the list before trying
again.

> Of course, some other problems can occur as well. In the past, we have
had AOL's automated spam filtering think that email from the list was spam
and started blocking it.

> Looking the email header info from your last message, it looks like it
took 2 seconds for AOL's server to receive the message from you. It then
took 6 more seconds for it to deliver it to the nsrca server. Pretty quick,
obviously no delay here. It rumbles around through several spam and virus
checkers at nsrca's ISP for a few seconds. Then it hits a server that's
clock is 1+ hour off so who knows. Finally, NSRCA's servers shoot it to my
server 1 minute and 3 seconds after you had hit the send button.

> So it got to me very fast. My best guess is that AOL's incoming servers
were swamped (there is a spam storm going on this weekend), they told the
NSRCA server to wait-delay a couple of times, and now your message is in
email pergatory. It will eventually flush through.

> Below is a copy of the route list of your message that got to me. Its
kind of interesting.  You read it from the bottom up. Each of the
"Received:" lines is another server or application (like virus checker)
that handled the message.