growing pattern

Dean Pappas d.pappas at kodeos.com
Thu Mar 3 13:00:01 AKST 2005

Hi Bob,
Too long since I saw you last. You make a good point. The thing is that it's easy to say that
the present lack of growth in Pattern is because of the things we do with rules today, compared to the past.
I would insist that we are doing a bunch of things right, and hopefully that sets the stage for growth:
how would you like to try to grow an event that covers lots of ground with loud airplanes?
It would strangle itself.

But the things you pointed out aren't being done at all, and they are critical.
That's worse than doing them poorly.

Do we try to do this through magazine exposure (another uphill battle) or do we take it to the streets
by offering to go to any club meeting within 2 hours drive and show people an entry-level Pattern ship,
and maybe talk about aerobatic trimming, or quiet technology, or even the joy of focused practice.

The web can be used as you describe, and we'd be smart to do so. I wonder if RCU and similar sites offer a break to non-commercial outfits like NSRCA?

We have to get ready to rumble!

Dean Pappas
Sr. Design Engineer
Kodeos Communications