Making Pattern Harder - was Pattern Box Rules (discussion)

Bob Richards bob at toprudder.com
Thu Mar 3 09:35:26 AKST 2005

Robert,

Thanks for your observation, I think you are entirely
correct.

I remember the first RC Modeler that I bought ('71 or
'72 I think) and it had full coverage of the Masters
team selection. I still remember some of the names of
the contestants, like Norm Page, George Hill, Tony
Bonetti, Jim Martin, etc etc. And I remember thinking
then that someday I would aspire to fly pattern.

IMHO, pattern and scale at that time were the "top of
the heap". There were no helicopters, no giant scale,
no electrics, park flyers or foamies, etc etc. RC has
diversified so much that pattern is a much smaller
piece of the pie. And, you are very correct that there
is very little pattern coverage in any of the
magazines. I agree we need to be spending a lot less
time thinking about how we can make the hobby more
enjoyable for us, and more about how we can make it
more enticing for others.

Bob R.