Pattern Box Rules (discussion)

Dean Pappas d.pappas at kodeos.com
Thu Mar 3 08:53:11 AKST 2005

Hi Jim,
I'm really not looking to argue with you, but that's not where we used to fly, back pre-Turnaround.
Oh yeah, some of us flew close in, and there were regional variations (you couldn't score for beans on Long Island twenty five years ago if you didn't do your rolls over the runway at less than 50 feet) but by and large we flew right at 150 meters and maybe farther for some tall stuff. Most flew bottoms well over 100', and tops on some stuff often violated the 45 degree maneuver box a bit. Look at it another way, we were not flying smaller, with our 120 MPH planes, and the square loop with 1/2 rolls was supposed to stay under 45 degrees. They were flown far out.

Now a statement like that, I need to prove. The last non turnaround Team Trials was held in '83 at Rough River Falls Ky. There is a road parallel to the runway and it was measured at about 175 meters away. We were asked, midway through the contest, to stop flying over and past the road. There were businesses and houses there.

Early after Turnaround, the same was true, on the same site. Nowadays, there is still a contest there. OK ... who has attended that contest the last couple of years? Do they still have a constant problem with road overflight?

Turnaround really has reduced our noise footprint.

later,
Dean

Dean Pappas
Sr. Design Engineer